作者：by Kimberley Willis with Rob Ludlow
出版社：John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
ISBN：978-1-119-67592-1 ; 1-119-67592-8 ; 978-1-119-67593-8 ; 1-119-67593-6 ; 978-1-119-67595-2 ; 1-119-67595-2
附註："Learning made easy"--Cover. Includes index.
Your hands-on guide to modern chicken-raising methods
Thinking about raising chickens? You've come to the right place! This new edition of Raising Chickens For Dummies provides the most up-to-date, thorough information on the many aspects of keeping chickens in your backyard. Inside, you'll find hands-on, easy-to-follow instructions on choosing and purchasing chickens, constructing housing for your birds, feeding your chickens for optimal health, combating laying issues, controlling pests and predators, optimizing egg production, and much more.
Raising chickens on a small scale is a popular—and growing—pastime. If you're interested in keeping chickens as pets or as a source for eggs, Raising Chickens For Dummies gives you plain-English explanations of everything you need to know to about caring for chickens. Inside, you'll learn about basic chicken biology, breeds, and behavior, which chicken breed is best for you, how many you need, ways to spot healthy chickens, how to build a chicken coop, best practices for mating your chickens, how to incubate eggs, how to hatch and nurture chicks, manage laying hens, collect and store eggs, and butcher meat birds.
Offers practical advice on choosing and purchasing chickens
Helps you construct the right housing for your chickens
Provides tips on feeding and caring for your chickens
Includes top tips for raising healthy chickens
Whether you're a first-time poulterer or you've been raising chickens for years, this comprehensive guide provides practical how-to advice for keeping chickens in virtually any backyard.
- About This Book(p.1)
- Foolish Assumptions(p.2)
- Icons Used in This Book(p.3)
- Beyond the Book(p.3)
- Where to Go from Here(p.4)
- Part 1 Getting Started with Raising Chickens(p.5)
- Chapter 1 The Joy of Chickens(p.7)
- Chapter 2 Basic Chicken Biology and Behavior(p.19)
- Chapter 3 A Chicken Isn’t Just a Chicken: Your Guide to Breeds(p.41)
- Chapter 4 Buying Chickens(p.61)
- Part 2 Housing Your Flock(p.81)
- Chapter 5 Choosing Your Housing Type(p.83)
- Chapter 6 Designing and Constructing a Coop(p.105)
- Chapter 7 Coop, Sweet Coop: Furnishing and Housekeeping(p.127)
- Part 3 Caring for Your Flock: General Management(p.143)
- Chapter 8 Feeding Your Flock(p.145)
- Chapter 9 Controlling Pests and Predators(p.171)
- Chapter 10 Keeping Your Flock Happy and Healthy(p.189)
- Chapter 11 Handling Health Problems(p.213)
- Part 4 Breeding: From Chicken to Egg and Back Again(p.243)
- Chapter 12 Mating Your Chickens(p.245)
- Chapter 13 Incubating Eggs and Hatching Chicks(p.263)
- Chapter 14 Raising Chicks(p.291)
- Part 5 Special Management Considerations(p.315)
- Chapter 15 Managing Layers and Collecting Eggs(p.317)
- Chapter 16 Raising and Butchering Meat Birds(p.345)
- Part 6 The Part of Tens(p.379)
- Chapter 17 More than Ten Tips for Keeping Healthy, Stress-Free Chickens(p.381)
- Chapter 18 More than Ten Misconceptions about Chickens, Eggs, and So On(p.389)